Bienvenidos a VLC

Yes. It is time. Time to start my food blog. I have been so excited to get started. I had the idea for Viva la Cocina over 6 months ago, but I was living in Costa Rica, in a furnished apartment [read: ill equipt kitchen] for the last year. We still cooked a lot, but had a hard time finding many ingredients. I kept busy reading other food blogs that I love. Bread & Honey is the blog that first inspired me to start Viva la Cocina.

My husband Ernesto and I moved to Costa Rica in June 2008 so I could volunteer for Habitat for Humanity at their Latin America headquarters. One of the best things I have ever done. It was a year of beautiful experiences. Habitat is a great non-profit helping people all over the world, and I know I will continue to support them. Exploring Costa Rica and the surrounding countries was icing on the cake. (all documented on my non-food blog Viva Cindy)

Before leaving for Costa Rica, we sold our home in Atlanta where we had been living for 8 years. I worked for Delta Airlines and Ernesto worked in Insurance. Usually Ernesto would email me a recipe while I was at work. We would meet at the grocery store afterwards and buy the ingredients, go home, snack and end up eating about 9 or 10pm. Cooking has been our hobby together since we met back in 1999.

Since we were homeless [and jobless] upon our return from Costa Rica in June, we decided to spend the summer with our families. Two weeks in Canton, OH and two months in San Diego, CA. We had a great time with my family in Ohio, and our summer in sunny San Diego has been fabuloso!

Ernesto's mom is a wonderful cook and loves sharing her recipes. Most are family recipes passed down from her mother. Luckily Ernesto's mom passed down these recipes to him back in his college years and has been cooking for me (and many friends) ever since. I'm a lucky girl indeed!

Cooking and discovering delicious food is our hobby. I think we are called foodies.

We will be taking off for Mexico in mid-August for a food exploration adventure. I will be sharing everything here on Viva la Cocina and my non-food blog Viva Cindy if you are interested in following along, I would love to have you!

I hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You two are such a lovely couple. Wow!! I'm so jealous haha. I am so glad your suegra has been sharing her recipes with you two. It is good to keep the culinary tradition alive.

    BTW, I'm surprised your husband didn't tell you that "americano" refers to people from Canada all the way down to Argentina, so your husband is also "americano". Also, adjectives of nationality are always lower-cased in Spanish. Lastly, there should always be an inverted exclamation mark to accompany a right-sided one in Spanish (e.g., ¡buen provecho!)

    Have fun in MX!! You two are so lucky! I love the food there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola! I made your albondigas recipe last night and it was delicious-just like my abuelita would make.:) I added Spanish rice, cilantro and a squeeze of lemon to each bowl as a garnish. Then served with a buttered corn tortilla rolled up to dip in the soup. I was a little unsure of using the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce because it has such an intense smoky scent;however, it truly added to the taste of the dish! Thank you for sharing this recipe. I will continue to make it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete

Hola! I love to reading your comments. Thanks for visiting Viva la Cocina!

Related Posts with Thumbnails